Thursday 25 January 2018

Gajar ka Halwa



                             Happy Republic day to all Indians! Today I have brought up a nation wide loved sweet dish Gajar ka Halwa that needs no introduction. This rich dessert is made on special occasions and it wouldn't be wrong if I say that it becomes a special occasion when Gajar ka halwa is made at home.

                             Few weeks ago in my local supermarket I simply picked up a tin of condensed milk not sure what to use it in...there were too many things going on in my head and I was actually out for a fancy shopping that means picking up anything that fancies my eyes. The tin remained unused unopened for a couple of weeks and one fine evening Dad brought up a kilo of carrots and there I and my condensed milk tin had a purpose in life. The next morning tasty Gajar ka Halwa was ready to be digged into!
                          
                            Grated carrots cooked in milk and garnished with rich nuts make an exemplary treat anytime of the day.


       The carrots used in the preparation of halwa are the red or pink variety carrots that are much thin and slender than the common orange carrots. 

Ingredients:

  1. Carrots - 1 kg
  2. Milk - 5 cups
  3. Condensed milk - 1 tin
  4. Sugar - 12 tbsp
  5. Ghee - 2 tbsp
  6. Nuts - to garnish
  7. Raisins - to garnish (optional)

 Method:

  • Grate the carrots.
  • Soak cashews and almonds in water for half an hour or boil them if you are short of time. Peel the almonds and sliver.
  • Take milk in a pan add grated carrots to it and bring to a boil.
  • Lower the flame and cook stirring occasionally till milk dries up.
  • Add condensed milk I have used Nestle milk maid 400gm tin.
  • Add sugar and cook on low flame till dry. It took me about 25mins.
  • Add ghee and cook for another 10 mins.
  • Remove from flame. Garnish with nuts and raisins of your choice and serve hot.

Also view my last year Republic day's post Carrot capsicum rice.

You may also like to try Sooji ka halwaOats halwa, Bread rasmalai, Bread kaja, and Aloo ka meetha from My Mom's Kitchen!

Hope you give it a try. Will love to listen from you. You can also email your thoughts to lubnamoin666@gmail.com
Happy Cooking!!!



No comments: