Wednesday 9 January 2019

Vegetable Oats Kofta



              Friday evening I was in an experiment mood so I tried to make these Vegetable Oats Koftas. Oats in today's fitness freak world doesn't need any introduction, rich in fiber they can easily be incorporated into any recipe. My Vegetable Oats Kofta could have also been termed healthy but for the deep frying option that I choose, may be you can use your air fryer.

                You certainly don't wish your experiment to fail and that too working with an expensive ingredient like poppy seeds. Yes, you read it right that's another key ingredient in this recipe. I was skeptical using this ingredient 'coz previously I have tried Bengali recipes like Aloo phoshto and sheem poshto. While sheem poshto seemed okay, Aloo poshto failed to impress even a potato lover like me. But, in this recipe you will find poppy seeds giving a unique taste and texture to the koftas.

               


            For the vegetables you can use what you prefer however, I have used grated carrots and peas. For a newbie like me peas work as atom bombs when they come in contact with oil so either cut them into halves or use crushed peas or be very very careful if using whole peas. Also try some more carrot & peas recipes like  Matar kachoriGajar ka halwaAloo matar tikkiCarrot capsicum rice and Vegetable khorma from My Mom's Kitchen. 

Ingredients:

  1. Oats - 4 tbsp
  2. Poppy seeds - 2 & 1/2 tbsp
  3. Carrot - 1 no
  4. Peas - 1/4 cup
  5. Corn flour - 1 tbsp
  6. Coriander leaves - few
  7. Black pepper - 1 tsp
  8. Salt - to taste
  9. Oil - for frying
  10. Water - as required.

Method:

  • Dry roast oats and poppy seeds separately.
  • Grate the carrots and boil and crush peas.
  • Take all the ingredients in a mixing bowl except oil and water.
  • Add water little by little to bring the dough together.
  • Take small portions and shape them into round balls or koftas.
  • Fry them in batches and remove onto an absorbent paper.
  • Serve hot with tomato ketchup or green chutney.


You may also like Aloo bondaMasala vadaRava vada, Moong dal kachori, Egg spring rolls also from My Mom's Kitchen.

Do share your views with me in the comments section below.

Happy Cooking!!!

No comments: